On Sunday, Abu Mustafa – a foreign relations officer in the Islamic Front – said “ISIS has opportunistically occupied the areas liberated by Syrian oppositions forces and for this reason, on 25 August we began attacks against the organisation under the name Battle of Nahrwan al-Shamm,” according to the Anadolu News Agency.
Abu Mustafa explained that the Islamic Front continued its fight against the organisation, but without any direct clashes with it due to the intensity of attacks by international coalition forces led by the United States, as well as attacks by the Syrian regime. He indicated that the coalition forces targeted positions of the Islamic Front and that they took the decision to not fight ISIS because of the regime forces’ intensification, along with attacks by Hezbollah in the Aleppo countryside.
Abut Mustafa said that the Islamic Front’s fighting against ISIS will continue lightly until the organisation accepts a ceasefire indicating that its forces will will protect their positions and remain on high alert, guarding the territory it controls.
Translated by Kevin Moore.
Original article available here.
Hisham Safieddine, president of Hezbollah’s legislative council, commented on the statements made by American Vice-President Joe Biden, viewing them as evidence and confirmation that the events happening in Syria are not a revolution, nor the will of the people.
The Lebanese National News Agency (NNA) quoted Safieddine as saying: “What American Vice-President Joe Biden said yesterday, that the money and weapons that were being provided to takfiris came from countries allied to the United States. He named Turkey and some Gulf States, demonstrating once again that everything that we have been talking about with regards to what is happening in Syria is correct, and that what is happening there is not a revolution, nor the will of the people, but sabotage and the realisation of the political goals of regional countries, Western states, and America.”
He continued: “Turkey and the Gulf States, when they gave money and support with weapons, this was not just to achieve their goals, but because American asked them to do that. The United States, for its part, is a full partner with them in every drop of blood that has fallen in Syria, as well as all the suffering and destruction that has happened there. What the American Vice-President said yesterday clearly demonstrates that those who carry the responsibility for everything that has happened in Syria is the United States and its allies who act today as an international coalition to eradicate the terrorism that they created, funded and armed by their own admission.”
Safieddine added: “Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was mistaken when he gambled on the overthrow of the regime in Syria, just as his old friends and rivals erred today. Just like they were mistaken previously, they are wrong today in Syria, Iraq and Lebanon, and at the level of every balance in the region. They were completely mistaken if imagine that they can turn back the clock, as the saying goes.”
Safieddine pointed out that “it is not possible for any force, pressure, arming, media/political intimidation, or fatwa to make us retreat from our right, our resistance, our righteous causes that we have held onto for decades and to this day we take such a line and strong approach. We will keep it and stay loyal to all of our martyrs, sacrifices and bids.”
Translated by Kevin Moore.
Original article available here.
Al- Asad aims to open a strategic road in hopes of getting various weapons to Hezbollah strongholds in Lebanon according to opposition sources.
Saudi Arabia has released its first ever list of terrorist organizations, which includes both domestic and external groups. The Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria and the Al-Nusra Front, who are both fighting in Syria, were included in the list, as was the Muslim Brotherhood, a decision which garnered praise from the current Egyptian government. The Saudi Interior Ministry also set a 15-day deadline for Saudi nationals fighting abroad to return to the Gulf kingdom, or face consequences ranging from 3-20 years in prison. Continue reading
Beirut experienced another car bombing today, leading to at least four deaths and dozens of injuries. The explosion occurred on the same street as the last bombing, less than a month ago, despite heightened security in the area. The bombing is being connected to ongoing violence in Syria.
Hezbollah accuses the State of Israel of assassinating the Hezbollah operative Hassan al-Laqis [Hassan al-Lakiss, Hassane Laqees, Hassan Al Laqis] in the southern suburbs of Beirut in early December. An accusation denied vehemently by the Israeli official Yigal Bilmor. This action could be used to spur a Hezbollah attack on Israel. Others speculate, however, that it may have been carried out by Sunni militants, since Hassan al-Laqis may have played a role in planning attacks against anti-Asad Sunni militias in Syria. Continue reading
Two explosions targeted the Iranian embassy in Beirut yesterday, added additional concerns that the conflict in Syria is spilling over into neighbouring Lebanon. Hezbollah and Iranian support for Bashar al-Assad’s regime have added to sectarian tensions in the country.
In the wake of yesterday’s suicide bombing outside the Iranian embassy in Beirut, Hezbollah is calling for calm, while many fear that violence in Syria will continue to spill over into neighbouring Lebanon.–
This BBC report from April, when Hezbollah fighters were confirmed to be involved in Syria, explains the groups early activities on the ground and poses questions to readers about the role Hezbollah will play in the conflict, and how there involvement could shape the situation.
إسرائيل “تستهدف صواريخ روسية” في سوريا
قال مسؤول بالحكومة الأمريكية إن إسرائيل شنت غارة جوية بالقرب من مدينة اللاذقية السورية الساحلية
- شنت إسرائيل غارات مماثلة في السابق
وأوضح المسؤول – الذي رفض الكشف عن هويته – أن هدف الغارة كان صواريخ روسية الصنع في طريقها إلى جماعة حزب الله اللبنانية
ونقلت وكالة اسوشيتد برس للأنباء عن مسؤول أمريكي قوله إن الصواريخ التي استهدفتها إسرائيل من طراز إس-أي ١٢٥
وقال المرصد السوري لحقوق الإنسان المعارض “سمعت انفجارت عدة في قاعدة للدفاع الجوي بمنطقة صنوبر جبلة
وخلال العام الجاري، أشارت تقارير إلى أن إسرائيل شنت ما لا يقل عن ثلاث غارات جوية داخل سوريا
وشددت إسرائيل مرارا في السابق على أنها ستتحرك إذا استشعرت أن أسلحة سورية – تقليدية أو كيميائية – يجري نقلها إلى جماعات مسلحة في المنطقة خاصة حزب الله
وفي وقت سابق، تعهد الرئيس السوري بالرد على أي غارات إسرائيلية في المستقبل
وتأتي المزاعم في توقيت حساس، حيث تحاول روسيا والولايات المتحدة تنظيم مؤتمر للسلام في جنيف بهدف التوصل إلى حل سياسي للأزمة في سوريا
في سياق آخر، أعربت الحكومة السورية عن أملها في أن تعاونها مع مفتشي الأسلحة الكيميائية الدوليين من شأنه أن يدعم تغيير الموقف الدولي تجاه دمشق
وفي تصريح لبي بي سي، قال فيصل المقداد، نائب وزير الخارجية السوري، إن سوريا كانت وستظل دائما شريكا بناء في العلاقات الدولية
وقال المقداد “آمل أن أولئك الذين طالما نظروا إلينا بسلبية سيغيرون رأيهم ويفهمون أن سوريا كانت ومازالت وستظل دائما شريكا بناء في الشؤون الدولية
وجاء حديث المقداد بعدما أعلنت منظمة حظر الأسلحة الكيميائية أن سوريا أنهت تدمير منشآتها لإنتاج الأسلحة الكيميائية
وأوضحت المنظمة أن 21 موقعا من إجمالي 23 موقعا معلنا للأسلحة الكيميائية في سوريا قد جرى تفتيشها خلال الشهر الماضي
كما تم تفتيش المعدات في الموقعين الآخرين بعدما نقلت إلى مناطق أقل خطورة
ومن المقرر تدمير مخزون تشير تقديرات إلى أنه يشمل أكثر من ألف طن من العناصر السامة والأسلحة
Israel “targets Russian missiles” in Syria
An American government official said that Israel launched an air raid close to the coastal Syrian city of Lattakia.
- Israel has previously launched similar raids.
The official, who refused to disclose his identity, clarified that the goal of the raid were Russian-made missiles on their way to Hezbollah.
Associated Press reported the American official in saying that the missiles targeted by Israel were SA-125s.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that “several explosions were heard at the air force base in the Snobar Jableh region.”
This year, reports have indicated that Israel has launched at least three air raids inside Syria.
Israel has repeatedly stressed in the past that it will mobilize if it deals like Syrian weapons – traditional or chemical – are transferred to armed groups in the region, especially Hezbollah.
Previously, the Syrian president pledged to respond to any Israeli raids in the future.
This claims come at a sensitive time, when Russia and the United States are attempting to organize a peace conference in Geneva with the goal of reaching a political solution to the crisis in Syria.
In another context, the Syrian government expressed its hope to cooperate with international chemical weapons inspectors in order to support the change in the international position towards Damascus.
In a statement to BBC, Syrian deputy foreign minister Faisel Al-Miqdad, said that Syria was and will always be a building partner in international relations.
Al-Miqdad said “I hope that those who look at us negatively will change their opinions and understand that Syria was, still is, and will always be a building partner in international affairs.”
Al-Miqdad’s words come after the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons announced that Syria finished the destruction of its facilities for producing chemical weapons.
The organization clarified that 21out of 23 total known locations for chemical weapons in Syria were inspected during the past month.
The equipment at two other locations were also inspected after being moved to less dangerous areas.
The destruction of stockpiles are schedule to occur, and estimates indicate there are more than 1000 tonnes of toxic substances and weapons.
Translated by Kevin Moore.
Article available at BBC Arabic.