Tagged: Sinai

Ansar Beit al-Maqdis announces its allegience to ISIS, Al Masry Al Youm (Egypt), 3 November 2014

Ansar Beit al-MaqdisIn a statement Monday evening, Ansar Beit al-Maqdis (Partisans of Jerusalem) announced its allegiance to ISIS.

In its statement, the group said: “Today, placing our trust in God Almighty and asking Him for proper guidance, we decided to pledge allegiance to Amir al-Mu’minin, Abu Bakr al-Qurashi al-Husseini al-Baghdadi, Caliph of the Muslims in Iraq and ash-Sham and all other Muslim countries.”

The statement added: “We call on our brothers in Egypt, Gaza, Libya and other countries of the Maghreb and Mashreq to trust in God, follow in our path and pledge allegiance to the Amir al-Mu’mini in order to unify the Muslims. God’s word is most high and we raise the banner of “There is no god but God, Mohammed is the messenger of God” high as it waves above the entire world.”

Notably, Ansar Beit al-Maqdis has claimed responsibility for a number of terrorist attacks targeting police and army recruits in several places, especially in the Sinai Peninsula in recent months.

Translated by Kevin Moore.

Original article available here.

Advertisements

Nabil Naim: Perpetrators of Sinai incident came from Syria and Iraq, Tahrir News (Egypt), 24 October 2014

Nabil NaimNabil Naim, founder of Egyptian Islamic Jihad, confirmed that the terrorist attack in Sinai today reflects a high-level of training and could only be carried out by elements that have previously participated in wars.

During a telephone interview with journalist Eman Hirsi for the “90 Minutes” programme, Naim explained that the perpetrators of the incident could have come from Syria and Iraq.

Naim indicated that there were main indications proving that the perpetrators trained militarily to undertake such an operation, and not in normal training camps, especially their targeting of paramedics after carrying out the initial operation.


Translated by Kevin Moore.

Original article available here.

Video: Ansar Beit al-Maqdis reveals the reason for death of four people in Sinai, Tahrir News (Egypt), 5 October 2014

Ansar Beit al-Maqdis has released a new video titled “They are the enemy, be wary of them (2).”

Video: Ansar Beit al-Maqdis reveals the reason for death of four people in SinaiThe new video recording reveals details of the bombing of a house owned by one of the elders of the al-Meniei clan of the al-Sawarka tribe, Abdelmajid al-Meniei. In the video, people are seen storming the house, which appears to have children in it. A remote detonation then turns the two-story house into rubble. The organization accuses al-Meniei of collaborating with security forces against the mujahideen.

The recording then transfers to another scene in which a person calling himself Ahmed Eid Ayad Salim appears. The person describes himself as an “agent of the apostate army,” saying that he was commissioned by the army to arrest people and that he and his companions were wearing the army uniform. He said he was given a weapon and a vehicle to arrest people wanted by the army and to participate in the demolition of their homes.

The scene ends with the person being executed by being shot in the head at night. The organisation directs a message to members of Sinai tribes, saying “Do not think that the death of a small group of tribal members decreases your ability in our hearts, for we are some of your children. Our misfortune is your misfortune, be a partisan of God. We continue to reap the spies of the Jews, except those who repent. The door of repentance is still open and we grant you time to deliver yourselves.”

The organisation filmed ambushes carried out by members of the organization in several locations in Sheikh Zuweid and Rafah, as well as searching cars and comparing names of of car owners with a list carried by a masked member, and in other scenes by carrying a laptop. The film then moves on to show testaments of people who describe themselves as agents of the Jews, including a person named Suleiman Salman Salim Ali, from the al-Nowamis family of the al-Sawarka tribe. He said: “I have dealt with Israeli Mossad since 2009. Mossad asked me to form groups to confront and kill takfiris. They gave me 120 GPS devices to help with targeting takfiris, as well as instructions to acquire pictures and information from Cairo and Sham al-Sheikh.”

Another person, 23-year-old Gehad Salman Salim Abu Namous al-Namous al-Sawarka, as well as a third person, Aish al-Wifa al-Wishi from the al-Barikat tribe, who explained how the three worked with Israeli Mossad, their methods of recruitment and the tasks assigned to them, including collecting information from Sinai, about religious groups and army movements in Sinai. He also described how much they earned from Mossad agents and the surveillance equipment the got from the Mossad agents to plant in different locations.

The recording ends with a masked member saying that this is the penalty for all apostate traitors. He then proceeds to slaughter the three with a knife and places their heads on top of their corpses, directing a message to the Jews that they will not live long and that the coming battle of sticks and stones will be between the mujahideen and the Jews.


Translated by Kevin Moore.

Original article available here.

‘Video: Ansar Beit al-Maqdis targets Israel with 5 rockets,’ Al-Masry Al-Youm (Egypt), 12 July 2014

Egyptian terrorist organisation Ansar Beit al-Maqdis posted a video to YouTube in which it appears the group fires five rockets into Israeli territory from their border position in the Sinai peninsula. While the video cannot be independently verified, the group has claimed previous attacks in the past, and the latest claim comes as Israel continues its bombardment of the Gaza Strip (Operation Protective Edge). The current operation has led to over 120 deaths and retaliatory rocket fire from Hamas. Additionally, rockets were fired into northern Israeli on Friday morning from unidentified militants in southern Lebanon. The current violence is the worst since Operation Pillar of Defense in November 2012.

Continue reading

‘Sabahi: We dreamed of democracy and social justice,’ Sky News Arabia (UAE), 14 May 2014

In an interview with Sky News Arabia, Egyptian presidential candidate Hamdeen Sabahi stressed that the dreams of democracy and social justice remain with Egyptians. If he wins, Sabahi said that he is committed to all of Egypt’s international agreements, however, the peace treaty with Israel would need to be be modified to allow Egypt to more effectively control the Sinai Peninsula. Continue reading

‘The effects of the Egyptian army’s operations in Sinai,’ Al-Jazeera (Qatar), 30 March 2014


See video transcription and translation below. Continue reading

‘Three soldiers injured as army vehicle overturns in central Sinai,’ al-Masry al-Youm (Egypt), 6 February 2014

An Egyptian military vehicle overturned in central Sinai this afternoon, injuring three soldiers.

Continue reading

‘2 killed and 50 wounded in car bombing in front of Security Directorate in South Sinai’, al Masri al Youm (Egypt),

قتيلان و50 مصابًا في انفجار سيارة مفخخة أمام مديرية أمن جنوب سيناء

أيمن أبو زيد
الإثنين 07 أكتوبر 2013 10:47

وقع انفجار ضخم بسيارة مفخخة داخل مديرية أمن جنوب سيناء هز أرجاء مدينة طور سيناء، وأسفر الانفجار عن قتيلين أحدهما مدنى والآخر شرطي، بالإضافة إلى 50 مصابا.

وهرعت قوات الجيش والشرطة والقوات الخاصة نحو مديرية الأمن وفرضت كردونا أمنيا حول المديرية بينما تجمع آلاف المواطنين للاطمئنان على أهلهم وذويهم من الموظفين المدنيين.

وقال مصدر أمني إن هناك سيارة مفخخة دخلت مديرية الأمن واستهدفت مبنى المديرية.

وقال شهود عيان إن الانفجار هز مبنى المديرية وسقط عدد من المصابين نتيجة قوة الانفجار وتطايرت الشظايا وتكسرت النوافذ.

وقال مصدر بمحافظة جنوب سيناء إن السيارة استهدفت مبنى  مديرية الأمن أثناء اجتماع أمني لعدد من القيادات الأمنية.

وخلف الانفجار للسيارة الملغومة حفرة طولها 3 أمتار وعمقها 1 ونصف متر.

__________________________________________

Translation

2 killed and 50 wounded in car bombing in front of Security Directorate in South Sinai

Amin abu Zaid
Tuesday, October 7th, 2013 10.47am

A huge car bomb explosion occurred by the Security Directorate of the South Sinai, which rocked the City of Mount Sinai, and resulted in two dead: one civilian and one police officer, in addition to wounding 50.

The army, police and special forces rushed to the Directorate and imposed security cordons around it, while thousands of citizens gathered to check on the parents and families of civilian personnel.

A security source said that a car bomb entered the security directorate and targeted the directorate building.

An eye witness said that the explosion shook the directorate building and a number of wounded fell as a result of the force of the explosion that blew out fragments and broken glass.

A source from the South Sinai Governorate said that the car targeted a security directorate building during a security meeting with a number of security leaders.

The car explosion left a crater about 3 meters wide and about 1.5 meters deep.

Full Arabic article here.

Translated by Robert Forster

‘Egyptian Security arrested 3 Jihadists in Sinai’, Al-Quds (Palestine), 14 August 2013

‎الأمن المصري يعتقل 3 “جهاديين” في سيناء

14 أغسطس 2013 – 03:54

Source: Al-Quds

العريش – (د ب أ) – أكد مصدر أمني مصري مسؤول أن قوات الأمن تمكنت من اعتقال ثلاثة من العناصر المطلوبة لدى الأجهزة الأمنية مساء أمس الثلاثاء.

وأوضح المصدر لوكالة الأنباء الألمانية، أن أحد المعتقلين قيادي جهادي كبير تم ضبطه بالقرب من كمين الخروبة شرق العريش وأن الاثنين الآخرين تم ضبطهما واعتقالهما بمعرفة الأجهزة الأمنية في أماكن لم يفصح عنها. ولم يكشف المصدر عن أسماء المعتقلين أيضا لـ”دواع أمنية”.

وأضاف المصدر أنه تم نقل العناصر الثلاثة بالطائرة إلى القاهرة فور القبض عليهم للتحقيق معهم.

____________________________________________

Translation

Egyptian Security arrested 3 Jihadists in Sinai

August 14 2013 03:54

Al-Arish – DBA – An official Egyptian security  source confirmed that security forces arrested three security service individuals on Tuesday evening.

The source explained to the German News Agency that one of the arrested is a big jihadi leader who was arrested near Kharouba in East al-Arish in an ambush and the two others were arrested had security service IDs on them were arrested in undisclosed locations. The source also didn’t reveal “the names of the detained for security reasons.”

The source added that he moved the three individuals immediately by plane to Cairo for questioning.

Translated by Robert Forster

Police Lieutenant colonel killed in attack on Checkpoint in Sinai, al-Jumhuria (Yemen), 12th July 2013

 مقتل ضابط شرطة برتبة مقدم في هجوم لمسلحين على نقطة تفتيش في سيناء

الجمعة 12 يوليو-تموز 2013 الساعة 01 مساءً / الجمهورية نت

Egyptian Soldiers

هاجم مسلحون بقذائف صاروخية نقطة تفتيش في سيناء مما اسفر عن مقتل ضابط شرطة مصري برتبة مقدم.

واوضح مسؤولون امنيون وطبيون مساء الخميس ان المسلحين استهدفوا بقذائفهم المضادة للدروع عربة مصفحة للشرطة كانت عند الحاجز، مما اسفر عن مقتل مقدم في الشرطة واصابة شرطي بجروح. وبحسب مصدر امني فان مسلحين هاجموا ايضا الخميس مركزا للشرطة في مدينة العريش.

وكثف المسلحون هجماتهم على قوات الجيش والشرطة المصرية منذ عزل الجيش الرئيس محمد مرسي في الثالث من تموز/يوليو الجاري.

________________________________________

Translation

Police Lieutenant colonel killed in attack on Checkpoint in Sinai

Friday, 12th July – 1PM, 2013 – The Republic Net

Armed men attacked a checkpoint in the Sinai with rocket propelled grenades resulting in the death of an Egyptian police officer with the rank of Lieutenant colonel.

National security officials reported on Thursday evening that the armed men targeted their anti-armour missiles at an armoured police vehicle at the checkpoint killing the officer and wounding another policeman. Security sources also reported that armed men also attacked a police station in al A’rish.

Armed men have intensified attacks on army and police forces since the army ousted the President Mohammed Morsi on the 3rd July.

Translated by Robert Forster