Tagged: Copts

‘Tabib: Egypt overcame political Islamist rule and will not go back,’ Al-Mogaz (Egypt), 16 March 2014

A sheikh at al-Azhar has stated that Egypt has moved past a phase of political Islam, and will not go back to it. Dr. Ahmed Tabib also downplayed the idea of tensions between Muslims and Christians in the country, believing the charge to be a strategic move by the West to paint a negative picture of Egypt. Continue reading

Advertisements

‘Pope Twadros II announces his hopes for Egypt in 2014’, al-Fagr (Egypt), 19th January 2014

The Coptic Pope, Twadros II, wishes good things for Egypt in the upcoming year…

Continue reading

Threatening message from diaspora Copts to Adly Mansour, Al-Mesryoon (Egypt), 7 December 2013

Egypt’s Coptic Christians living in the diaspora have sent a message to interim Egyptian president Adly Mansour demanding several actions to be taken in order to protect Copts in the country. The message was also sent to the European Union and the church in Egypt. Exact population figures of Copts living in Egypt are unknown. Copts have been increasingly persecuted by Islamist trends following the ouster of former president Mohammed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Continue reading

‘Hala Sidky attacks Sheikh Muhammad Hassan: He was attacking Christians in the previous regime and now calls on them to not fear of Islam’, al-Anba (Kuwait), 2nd June 2012

هالة صدقي تهاجم الشيخ محمد حسان: كان يهاجم المسيحيين في النظام السابق والآن يدعوهم إلى عدم الخوف من الإسلام

السبت 2 يونيو 2012

شنت الفنانة هالة صدقي هجوما على الشيخ محمد حسان تعقيبا على دعوته الأقباط بألا يخشو الإسلام، وذلك في دعوته لتأييد د.محمد مرسي مرشح الإخوان المسلمين.

وقالت هالة: «الشيخ حسان كان يهاجم المسيحيين في النظام السابق أما الآن فهو يدعوهم الى عدم الخوف من الإسلام، متسائلة: كيف له أن تكون مواقفه متناقضة مع المسيحيين». وأضافت ان الشيخ محمد حسان كان بالسعودية الأسبوع الماضي والتقى بخادم الحرمين وقال له: «هو انت زعلان على اللي رفعوا الجزم على السفير، ومش زعلان على اللي بيقولوا ان الله له ولد» ـ على حد قولها.

وذلك بعد ان عرض برنامج الحقيقة الذي يقدمه الإعلامي وائل الإبراشي وبثته فضائية دريم 2، فيديو للداعية السلفي الشيخ محمد حسان يدعو فيه أقباط مصر بألا يخافوا من الإسلام. حيث قال: لن نسمح لأحد مهما كان وزنه أن يظلمكم أنتم أهل ذمتنا، ورسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم أوصى بكم خيرا، وأطمئنكم بأن المسلمين أجمعوا على وجوب حمايتكم من أي اعتداء خارجي، أنتم في كنف الشريعة الإسلامية أمنون ومطمئنون.

______________________________________________

Translation

Hala Sidky attacks Sheikh Muhammad Hassan: He was attacking Christians in the previous regime and now calls on them to not fear of Islam

Saturday 2nd June 2012

The actress Hala Sadiqi launched an attack on Sheikh Muhammed Hassan commenting on his calls on Copts to fear Islam, and then his calls to support the Muslim Brotherhood candidate Muhammed Morsi.

Hala said: “The Sheikh Hassan was attacking Christians in the previous system, but now he calls on them to not fear Islam, she wondered: how does he hold inconsistent positions with Christians.” She added that Sheikh Muhammed Hassan was  in Saudi last week and met with the Custodian and said to him “are you upset about the assertion raised to the Ambassador and not upset about that it was said that “Allah has a son” – she said.

During a non-fiction show provided by Media Wael Ebrashi and aired on Dream 2 Satellite, a video showed of the Salafi Preacher Sheikh Muhammed Hassan in which he called on Coptic Egypt to not fear Islam. He said: we will not except anyone, whatever his weight, to darken you people and vilify us, and the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, has recommended you well, and I assure you that the Muslims are unanimously agreed on the necessity to protect you from any external aggression, you and within the confines of Islamic law, be secure and reassured.

Translated by Robert Forster

‘Al-Sisi quick to direct the repair and rebuilding of damaged churches at expense of the military’, Al-Masri al-Youm (Egypt), 15th August 2013

السيسي يوجه بسرعة ترميم وإعادة بناء الكنائس المتضررة على نفقة الجيش

source: al-masri al-youm

source: al-masri al-youm

الخميس 15 أغسطس 2013 15:14

وجه القائد العام للقوات المسلحة وزير الدفاع والإنتاج الحربي، الفريق أول عبدالفتاح السيسي، الهيئة الهندسية بسرعة إعادة بناء وترميم جميع الكنائس التي تم الاعتداء عليها خلال أحداث، الأربعاء، على نفقة القوات المسلحة.

واعتدى أنصار الرئيس المعزول محمد مرسي على كنائس وممتلكات الأقباط في عدد من المحافظات، من بينها المنيا، سوهاج، الفيوم، أسيوط، السويس، بعد ساعات من بدء قوات الأمن إجراءات فض اعتصامي ميداني رابعة والنهضة بالقوة، وهو ما اعتبره  سياسيون ورجال دين «عقابا للأقباط على مشاركتهم في ثورة 30 يونيو».

ورصدت غرفة العمليات المركزية لاتحاد شباب ماسبيرو اعتداء أنصار المعزول وجماعة الإخوان المسلمين على حوالى 20 كنيسة بالمحافظات، وتمكنهم من حرق 17 كنيسة بالفعل، بالإضافة إلى عدد من المنازل والمحال التجارية المملوكة لمواطنين أقباط، وأعلن مصدر كنسي تشديد الإجراءات الأمنية حول الكاتدرائية المرقسية بالعباسية، موضحا أن الكاتدرائية أغلقت أبوابها، ولا تسمح لأي أحد بالدخول أو الخروج منها.

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/node/2034016

__________________________________________________

Translate

Al-Sisi quick to direct the repair and rebuilding of damaged churches at expense of the Military

Thursday 15th August 2013, 15:14pm

The general leader of the armed forces, the Minister of Defence and War Production, Al-Farouk Awal Abd al-Fatah al-Sisi, directed the Authority of Engineers to quickly rebuild and perform repairs on a group of churches that were assaulted during the events of al-Raba’a, at the expense of the armed forces.

Followers of the ousted president Mohammed Morsi assaulted churches and the property of Copts in a number of provinces, amongst them Minya, Sohag, Fayoum, Assuit and  Suez, hours after the start of actions by security forces to disengaged the pickets of al-Raba’a and an-Nahda Square, and politicians and religious leaders consider them “punishment towards Copts for their participation in July 30.”

The Central Operations Room for the Maspero Youth Movement spotted assault by followers of the ousted Muslim Brotherhood on about 20 churches in the provinces and the 17 church burnings already. In addition to a number of houses and shops owned by civilian Copts. Sources from the church announced the tightening of security measures around the Abbasia Episcopate Cathedral, explaining that the Cathedral closed it’s doors and is not allowing any one to enter or leave the premises.

“New York Times: Increase in the flight of Copts from Egypt,” Thecopticnews.org (Egyptian Expat Org), 17th May 2013

‎نيويورك تايمز: تزايد عمليات فرار الأقباط من مصر

‎- فيتو
‎17مايو 2013

رصدت صحيفة “نيويورك تايمز” الأمريكية، فى عددها الصادر اليوم الخميس، بعض التغييرات التي بدأت  تضرب المجتمع المصري بعد الثورة ووصول جماعة الإخوان المسلمين لسدة الحكم.وتحت عنوان “المسيحيون غير مستقرين في مصر مرسي”، أكدت الصحيفة الأمريكية تزايد معدلات الهجرة إلى الخارج، وخصوصًا المسيحيين الذين يشعرون أنهم مستهدفين ولم يعد يشعرون بالأمان، بالإضافة إلى المشاكل الاقتصادية المتصاعدة منذ وصول الإخوان للحكم، حيث أصبحوا يبيعون أعز ما يملكون للفرار من مصر

‎.وقالت “نيويورك تايمز”: “منذ الإطاحة بالرئيس السابق حسني مبارك في فبراير 2011، بدأ عدد متزايد من الأقباط، بما في ذلك بعض أنجح رجال الأعمال للفرار من مصر أو يستعدون للقيام بذلك، ليس خوفا من الاضطهاد من جانب الحكومة التي يسيطر عليها الإسلاميون بقدر التدهور الاقتصادي الذي أصبح يشل البلاد، ومن أبرزهم كبار عائلة ساويرس الذين ينقلون استثماراتهم للخارج”.ونقلت الصحيفة عن تاجر ذهب يدعى “واصف أمين”، قوله: “في كل أسبوع 10 أشخاص يغادرون مصر أو يستعدون لذلك .. إنهم يعرفون أن ما حدث لساويرس يمكن أن يحدث لهم غدا”

‎.وأضافت الصحيفة، أنه منذ الثورة قد تضاعفت الهجمات على الأقباط ومؤسساتها، وفي أكتوبر 2011، في أعقاب إحراق إحدى الكنائس القبطية في صعيد مصر، اشتبكت قوات الأمن مع المتظاهرين المسيحيين وقتل 28 شخص معظمهم من الأقباط، والشهر الماضي حاصر بعض الإسلاميين المتشددين كاتدرائية الأقباط الرئيسية في بلدة الخصوص شمالي القاهرة، ولم تفعل الشرطة يذكر لمنع الاشتباكات التي وقعت بين الطرفين.وأوضحت أن المحللين يلقون باللوم على الرئيس محمد مرسي وحكومته لفشلها في وقف العنف، كما أن صحيفة “الأهرام ويكلي” المملوكة للدولة وضفت عمليات القتل في الخصوص بأنها “عرض من أعراض انعدام المسئولية في السلطة، وحالة من اللامبالاة يمكن أن تؤدي بالدولة إلى حافة الانهيار”، بينما اتهم بابا الأقباط تواضروس الثاني الرئيس مرسي بـ”سوء التقدير”.وأشارت الصحيفة إلى أن العنف الجسدي اختلط مع الخوف بين رجال الأعمال القبطية الذين يتم استهدافهم، وتحديدًا تحت طائلة قانون الضرائب، مما دفع عدد كبير منهم لنقل أموالهم واستثماراتهم خارج مصر. وتشير الأرقام الصادرة عن وزارة الخارجية الأمريكية حول عدد طلبات اللجوء التي تقدم بها أقباط مصريين منذ الثورة تزايد ملحوظ.

‎واختتمت الصحيفة بالقول، إنه رغم أن السنة المالية للعام الحالي 2013 التي تنتهي في الولايات المتحدة في 31 أغسطس، فإن الولايات المتحدة قد منحت حتى الآن نحو 1417 طلبا لجوء من مصر، مقارنة مع 1867 لعام 2012، و837 خلال عام 2011، مشيرة إلى أن عدد المهاجرين في 2012 يبلغ ستة أضعاف ما كان عليه خلال العام الذي سبق الإطاحة بمبارك.

http://thecopticnews.org/1/?pid=230

____________________________________
Translation

“New York Times: Increase in the flight of Copts from Egypt”

The Coptic News . org, 17th May 2013

The American paper New York Times noted in it’s issue on Thursday, some changes that have begun to strike Egyptian society after the revolution and the arrival of the Muslim  Brotherhood  ascending to government under the banner “Christians destabilize Morsi’s Egypt.” The American newspaper confirmed an increase in the rate of emigration abroad, and especially amongst Christians who feel targeted and no longer safe. In addition to this economic problems are growing since the arrival of the Brotherhood in government, as a result (some) are selling their dearest possession in order to flee Egypt.

The New York Times said: “since the overthrow of the previous president Hosni Mubarak in February 2011, a growing number of Copts, amongst them some successful businessmen fled Egypt or are preparing to do so, most notably the Sawiris family who transported their investments abroad.  They do so out of fear from persecution from the government which is dominated by the Islamists and as far as the economic downturn that has crippled the country.” The paper quotes a gold merchant known as “Waadf Amin”  saying: “every week 10 people leave Egypt or are preparing to do so .. they know that what happened to the Sawaris could possibly happen to them.

The paper added that since the revolution attacks have doubled on Copts and their institutions. October 2011 was followed by the burning of Coptic churches in  Upper Egypt, clashes between Security Forces and Christian protesters where more than 28 Copts were killed. Last month Islamist Militants surrounded the main Coptic Cathedral in a town north of Cairo. The Police do not recall the source of the clashes between the sects.

(The paper) explained that  analysts blame President Muhammed Morsi and his government for failing to stop the violence. Furthermore, the state-owned paper the Al-Ahram Weekly indicated that the killings in particular were “a symptom of a lack of responsibility in power, and the state of indifference can lead the country to the brink of collapse. ” While Pope Twadharos II  accused Morsi of “miscalculation”.

The paper pointed out that physical violence mingled with fear  is prominent amongst Coptic businessmen, whom are targeted specifically under tax law penalties which a large number of them pay to move their finances and investments out of Egypt. The figures released by the American Ministry of Exterior indicate that the number of asylum applications offered to Egyptian Copts since the revolution  has markedly increased.

The paper closed by saying, that although  the fiscal year  for the current year 2013 ends according to the UN on the 31 August, the UN have granted until now about 1417 asylum requests from Egypt, compared with 1867 in the year 2012, and 837 during 2011, pointing out that a number of migrants in 2012 was six-fold of what it was during the year before the overthrow of Mubarak.

Translated by Robert Forster.

Original article available at Thecopticnews.org.